Aspiring for an overseas job position? Earning a higher salary is probably the reason why you are willing to work in a foreign land and be away with your family in the Philippines. Before this though, you must bear in mind that it would cost you a substantial amount to process and prepare documents you need for overseas employment.

The Placement Fee: POEA-licensed recruitment agencies are permitted by law to collect placement fees. This is their share for successfully assisting the worker in finding an employment abroad. Placement fee is allowed but there are rules to be followed:

  • It should only be equivalent to the one month salary of the worker abroad.

  • POEA-licensed agencies can only ask for the placement fee upon signing the employment contract. The deployed OFW has a choice to pay the initial half of the fee.

  • The full payment can be made when the agency gives the plane ticket and other travel documents of the OFW.


Documentation Fees: The deployed OFW also need to shoulder the payment for the processing of the following documents:

  • Passport

  • NBI/Barangay/Police Clearance

  • Authentication of Birth Certificate,

  • Medicare/Philhealth Trade Test if needed,

  • Immunization (if required by the host country)

  • Medical Certificate

Fees that Should Be Paid by the Employer: Visa, Airplane Ticket, OWWA Membership Fee, POEA Processing Fees

Exemption to placement fees: Collection is prohibited to seafarers, household service workers (HSWs) and caregivers. There are also foreign countries that disallow placement fee collection such as USA (for workers under H2B visa), Netherlands, Ireland, United Kingdom (UK), and some some parts of Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan).