Career opportunities abroad continue to expand along with the growing number of Filipinos wanting to work overseas. According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, there are about 2.4 million OFWs being deployed each year. Due to the fierce competition in the international market, aspiring OFWs must improve their skill set to increase their chance of landing their dream overseas jobs. The qualifications vary depending on the desired type of job and country.
For aspiring professional OFWs, the common requirements are as follows:
• Prometric exams- This is a requirement for all healthcare specialists applicants in different countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Oman and other OFW destinations.
• Health Authority Abu Dhabi Exam- The HAAD exam is required if you are a healthcare professional planning to apply for a job in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
• National Council Licensure Examination or NCLEX – RN- The NCLEX-RN is for nurses who plan to work in the United States of America and Canada.
• International English Language Testing System (IELTS)- This is an English language proficiency test required to aspiring OFWs who want to work in a country where English is used as the common language of communication like United Kingdom, Australia, USA and Canada.
For skilled workers wanting to apply for overseas jobs, below is the list of TESDA-issued National Certificates (NC):
• Air-Conditioning Technician- Refrigeration and Air conditioning (RAC) Servicing NC I, II
• Automotive Mechanic- Automotive Servicing NC I to IV
• Metal Worker- Air Duct Servicing NC II
• Automotive Electrician- Automotive Electrical Component Servicing (COC), Automotive Servicing NC I to IV
• Building Wiring Electrician- Building Wiring Installation NC II
• Heavy Equipment Operator- Heavy Equipment Operation NC II
• Household Service Worker- NC II
• Machinist- Machining NC I to III
• Pipefitter- Plumbing NC II to III
• Welder- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) NC I to IV
Acquiring and mastering the necessary skills will give you the edge over other candidates. And once you have the necessary skills, you are ready to apply to the latest overseas job opportunities from POEA-licensed agencies. Start now by building your WorkAbroad profile.